Tuesday 9 October 2012

Farewell

-->
On the 29th September, Thomas Lund gave his farewell performance as a dancer with the Danish Royal Ballet.  He chose as the two pieces ‘The Lesson’ and of course ‘La Sylphide’. 

I have to confess I don’t like ‘The Lesson’, a piece that looks and feels like the 1960s piece it is.  Lund was of course excellent, but I would have preferred to have seen him in something else.  As I say, this is a purely personal comment rather than a review, as the work was performed wonderfully by all three dancers.

The role of Jamie in ‘La Sylphide’ is undoubtedly Lund’s signature piece. For me, he is a prefect Bournonville dancer, light on his feet, wonderful beats and a sensitivity with the music and drama.  I was so glad to see his last performance.

The evening ended with a speech from Nikolaj Hübbe, flowers, tears, a standing ovation and we, the audience bowed to him in appreciation of his many wonderful performances.

This is just a short blog and a quick update.  There are some more dance things coming up so I’ll be back writing more soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment