Saturday 19 May 2012

East meets West: Dansk Danseteater & Beijing Dance Theater


Last Friday, I went to a really interesting evening of dance, interesting as it gave me an opportunity to not only see a new piece by Tim Rushton that had been premiered in Edinburgh by the Rambert Dance Company (‘Monolith’), but also to see some choreography and dancing from China.  It was the opening night of the pieces in Copenhagen.



 The opening piece was ‘Monolith’ (pictured above), inspired, according to the programme notes, by Stonehenge.  What a refreshing change to what I had seen the week before!  The dancers were engaged and moved with grace, elegance and strength.  The choreography was lyrical and clearly showed Rushton’s classical roots.  An excellent piece, set to music by Peteris Vasks.  I suggest you read about the Rambert rehearsals if you want to know more in the wonderful ‘theballetbag’.


The second piece, ‘Dead Fire’ was choreographed by Wang Yuanyuan, artistic director of the Beijing Dance Theater and danced by Dansk Danseteater.  This too was quite a lyrical piece, with a beautiful back drop.  The dancers cast ‘snow’ over the stage and on each other, giving the piece a soft edge to its at times harsh message (death always wins).  The dancers frequently had their back to the audience, sometimes a risky thing to do, but in this case it worked. 

The evening ended with ‘The End of Loneliness’, choreographed by Tim Rushton danced in the main by the company from Beijing, joined by the dancers of Dansk Danseteater.  The music was a strong percussion piece by Mathias Friis-Hansen.  Two things struck me most about this piece.  First, the women had the most beautiful arms I think I have seen in ages.  Long, elegant, they seemed to use every fibre of their arms from the tip of the middle finger to the shoulder.   The men too had good arms and nice strong jumps.  The second thing I noticed was Rushton’s sometimes lapse into, what I like to call the ‘oh help I don’t know what to do next so I’ll just get them to repeat the same thing three or four times’ routine.  I’ve seen him do this before, and it is such a shame to comment on this since I really like his work and he comes over as such a nice person in interviews!

The audience gave the evening a standing ovation, which I thought a little over the top, but it was definitely the highlight of any dance I have seen this year.  Rushton has done wonders with Dansk Danseteater and I hope it may long continue.  He has made mistakes (like the full length ‘Cinderella’ for the Danish Royal Ballet), but is full of talent and a breath of fresh air on the Danish dance scene.




1 comment:

  1. I love your writing. You could be doing that for a magazine or something. Made me feel like I had been there almost. Well done! xx

    ReplyDelete