Thursday 17 May 2012

Balanchine and Stravinsky Part 3


And now to finally write a review of the third piece….

‘Symphony in Three Movements’ is a piece from 1972, and looked it.  Whether it was the long, ponytails sported by the women or the choreography, I am not sure, but it had a very 70s feel to it.  Although it was the most modern of the three pieces, it seemed like the oldest. 

It is an ensemble piece, and certainly full of energy, angular movements and verve.  I have read that Stravinsky composed the symphony's three movements at different times for three different films, although they were never actually used on screen.  On stage, with the dancing, it seemed like a seamless piece.

Well, like the rest of the evening, the piece was a bit of a disappointment, with little sparkle or dynamism.  In my view, The Royal Danish Ballet has lost its way and desperately needs something to boost it. 

There are two extra things to add on a more personal note about the evening.  One was that one of the ‘5 men’ in the last piece was Benjamin Buza, the son of the caretaker at Lygten 16 where I work.  It is always nice to spot someone you almost feel you know!

Secondly, a few days later when I was thinking over the evening, a terrible thought arose….what if the truth is that I don’t really like Balanchine?  I can understand why I fell in love with his style as a child since it was the first neo-classical choreography I saw, but maybe, just maybe, I am no longer a fan.  New York City Ballet are coming here next year, so we will see! 

(After thought….I thought NYCB were a big disappointment last time I saw them…).

No comments:

Post a Comment